Audiologist/Audiometrist Kaimātai Ororongo/Kaimātau Ororongo

Audiologists and audiometrists study, identify, measure and treat hearing loss and ear disorders. They also provide aids and other listening devices to assist patients with hearing loss.

Audiologists and audiometrists need to be registered as a member of the New Zealand Audiological Society.

Audiologists/audiometrists may do some or all or the following:

  • study, identify and measure hearing problems using specialised equipment
  • advise on hearing problems and prescribe, select and fit hearing aids
  • help patients with rehabilitation after hearing loss
  • repair hearing aids and supply hearing aid batteries.

Audiologists may also:

  • research hearing problems
  • assess and manage problems processing sound
  • do assessments of workplace and classroom sound levels
  • adjust a client’s cochlear implants until the sound is clear.

Physical Requirements

Audiologists and audiometrists need to have:

  • good eyesight (with or without corrective lenses)
  • good hearing
  • a clear speaking voice.

Useful Experience

Useful experience for audiologists and audiometrists includes:

  • work in rest homes
  • work with people who have hearing impairments.

Personal Qualities

Audiologists/audiometrists need to be:

  • patient
  • understanding
  • good listeners and able to relate to a wide range of people
  • good communicators
  • good at planning and research.


Audiologists/audiometrists need to have knowledge of:

  • hearing problems
  • the latest treatment of hearing problems
  • the structure and function of the ear and brain
  • hearing aids and other hearing devices
  • acoustics and physics
  • child development.

Knowledge of New Zealand Sign Language may be helpful.



  • usually work regular business hours
  • work in hospitals, private practices, universities and hearing aid companies
  • may travel nationally to attend conferences, or visit clinics, rest homes or people's houses to conduct hearing tests.

Subject Recommendations

A tertiary entrance qualification is required to enter further training. Useful subjects include biology, health education, maths, physics, te reo Māori and English.

Audiologist/Audiometrists can earn around $50K-$120K per year.

Audiologist pay

Pay for audiologists varies depending on experience and where they work.

  • Trainee audiologists working under supervision usually earn between $50,000 and $70,000 a year.
  • Qualified audiologists working in public hospitals or schools for the deaf usually earn between $65,000 and $90,000.
  • Audiologists working in private audiology practices can earn between $75,000 and $120,000.

Audiometrist pay

Pay for audiometrists varies depending on experience and where they work.

  • Audiometrists usually earn between $47,000 and $75,000 a year.

Sources: New Zealand Audiological Society, 2021; and District Health Boards and Public Service Association, 'Allied, Public Health and Technical Multi Employer Collective Agreement', 2020.

Audiologists may progress to become managers of audiology clinics or hospital departments. With further study, audiologists can become academics.

Audiologists may specialise in:

  • identifying hearing loss
  • assessment and diagnosis of hearing loss or disorders
  • treatment of individuals with impairment of auditory and vestibular function
  • research in normal and disordered auditory and vestibular function
  • intraoperative neurophysiologic monitoring.

Years Of Training

2-5 years of training required.

Audiology training

To become an audiologist you need to have a Master of Audiology degree. You also need to be registered with the New Zealand Audiological Society.

  • Audiometry training

To become an audiometrist you need to get a job as a trainee audiometrist first. You then study for a Diploma of Audiometry by distance learning with TAFE in Australia. You can then register with the New Zealand Audiological Society.

  • The Vulnerable Children Act 2014 means that if you have certain serious convictions, you can’t be employed in a role where you are responsible for, or work alone with, children.