Gateway & STAR
What is Gateway?
Gateway is designed to strengthen the pathway for students from school to workplace learning.
It involves work experience for a set period each week – can be up to two days with the remainder spent in normal classes, may also be an after school placement.
It gives students a chance to show an employer that he/she can be a good worker, honest and reliable. Students who have been in Gateway are often offered jobs/apprenticeships during the year. Very few students do not get a permanent job, apprenticeship or go on to further their education from this programme.
What sort of placements?
The most common placements are in Agriculture, Early Childhood, Building, Mechanical Engineering and Retail, Hospitality, Trucking Firms, Electricians, Tourism, Youthwork, Hairdressing. However we are willing to look into any possible career pathway.
The students will be given the opportunity to select the fields they wish to experience. The work placements are usually found in Central Hawke's Bay.
What is the selection criteria to enrol in Gateway?
- be 16 years of age
- be reliable and punctual with a good attendance record
- have good classroom, homework management skills
- able to manage individualised/self-directed learning and assessment
- acknowledge they will miss one day of school and commit to catching up work missed in class
- capable of undertaking a structured work placement, and achieving credits in the workplace
- able to display a strong interest in a particular industry or career direction
- be work ready
- have energy and enthusiasm - a desire to learn and work
Can anybody join Gateway?
Not exactly – Due to limited places we must undergo a selection process. Final approval into the programme is made by your Dean and the Gateway Co-ordinators. Students are required to complete a minimum of 20 credits in their chosen course. Honesty and reliability are essential.
*Are you ready for Life after School?*
Maybe the Gateway programme is an option for you!!!!
Who do I see for more information?
Mrs Andersen (TIC Gateway/Star
Mrs Walker (Gateway Co-ordinator)
Some students may be able to take courses through the Correspondence Programme.
Criteria is set for entry into these courses by the Correspondence school.
If you need to do a course via Correspondence please see Correspondence Co-ordinator to check if you meet the criteria and if the course you wish to take is offered through the Correspondence School.